During one of the episodes, they tested different equipment that claimed to improve your fuel economy.
They tested various devices including:
- Some device with magnets that claimed to align all the gasoline molecules so they’d burn more efficiently
- A device with acetone
- A super carburator of some kind
- A contraption that claimed to turn water into hyrdogen and oxygen which would give you umpteen miles per gallon of water.
Not a single one of the devices lived up to their promised performance.
Had any of those devices worked, even moderately, I would’ve signed up to be an affiliate for one of those devices and promptly put an “As Seen on Mythbusters” stamp on it.
Out of all of the things they tested, the only true “alternative” fuel, was vegetable oil. They had an old school Mercedes Benz 300 turbo diesel, which they ran on discarded vegetable oil, aka biodiesel.
They made no modifications to the vehicle and the only processing they did to the oil was that they filtered out the particulates suspended in it.
When they tested the fuel efficiency of the used vegetable oil versus diesel fuel, they found that you only lost about 20% efficiency using the used vegetable oil. That fuel efficiency puts it on par with using ethanol in your regular gasoline powered car instead of gasoline.
I think there may be a business in there somewhere.
Here’s the plan:
- Collect the oil for free from restaurants that need to get rid of their used oil and clean out their grease traps
- Filter the oil/ grease to clean out the particulates
- Sell the filtered and clean oil to people for a couple of dollars a gallon so they can put it in their diesel cars/ trucks.
It’s a win-win all the way around.
Any one want to fund my startup on something like that?