WordPress 3.0 Problems Uploading Images – How I Fixed Them
First, let me say that I love 3.0.
I really feel like 3.0 is the next step in the democratization of the web. Having said that, I have had issues after updating on 1, and only 1 of my sites (out of 30+ that I own and manage) to WordPress 3.0. Here are the details on the issues I was experiencing:
- When uploading pictures to the affected site, the photo uploads without any problem. After it uploads, I go to the screen where I add my title, caption, description, etc. When I’m done with those preliminary steps, I click “Insert into post” and the screen goes blank. If I refresh, it just goes back to the photo upload screen. The photos are in the gallery, with the notes that I added, I just can’t insert them into the post using the quick buttons.
- The photo upload panel no longer shows up in a light box, but rather takes over the entire screen.
- I was unable to schedule posts in the edit post window
- I was also unable to add post tags in the edit post window
How I fixed it:
I disabled all of my plugins, and no longer had the issue. I then re-enabled my plugins, one by one, until the issue came back. I determined that HeadSpace2 was the plugin that was creating the issue.
I have deactivated Headspace2 until an update is released that addresses this issue. From what I saw in the forums, the developer of HeadSpace2 is aware of the issues and is working on a fix. I have reactivated all of my other plugins.
Take away lessons:
- First and foremost, don’t panic.
- Always check for plugin compatibility. If you have an issue after an upgrade, start with the simple things first. The simple things are to change your theme to the default theme, then deactivate all your plugins as I mention above. These are the easiest things to do and also the most likely to yield results.
- Always, always, always backup your database, just in case you need to rebuild your site from scratch.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, leave them in the comments section below.